Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Modern Technology

I'm pretty reliant on a GPS when I travel for work. Going from club to club or office to office these last few years, I can't imagine actually having to look at a map and write down directions...

Anyway, I was in Dallas for only the 2nd time in 6 years last week. I;m not really familiar with the city. I was staying at a Sheraton in some part of town I do not recall or even know because the GPS got me there. 

I do actually use Mapquest to figure out how far away my meetings are from each other so I know when to get on the road. Mapquest told me my 10am meeting was only about 2 miles away from the Sheraton. 

I allowed about 15 minutes before the meeting to go the said 2 miles. I went to the car (a Chevy HHR, a glorified station wagon, so cool) and typed  the address into the GPS. Hmm, I thought, that looks oddly familiar. 

I saw I had 1.8 miles to go. I started on the one way road, and made a whole bunch of right turns down one way streets. I kinda felt like I was going in a big circle...which I was. Cause I ended up in the building right next door to the Sheraton 10 minutes later thanks to lights and stop signs and one way traffic patterns. 

Thanks, GPS and Mapquest 




No comments:

Post a Comment